Wednesday 10 September 2014

Who Wore It Better #15 - Magic Study

Who Wore It Better is a meme created and hosted by Nitzan at The Book Babes Read and co-hosted here on Beautiful Bookish Butterflies by Amanda and Stacie. We don't talk about clothing or fashion and we definitely don't talk frills and spills, we talk books and their covers and who we think has the best. This week, Amanda's talking about the covers for Magic Study, book #2 in the Poison Study series. Amanda's been meaning to read this series for as long as she can remember yet stull hasn't started it. What is she waiting for? It's probably time she considered it, right? Convince her.


The Covers



Cover #1 - Australian/2013 UK Edition (Paperback)
Cover #2 - International 2007 Edition (Paperback)
Cover #3 - International 2008 Edition (Paperback)
Cover #4 - International 2006 Edition (Hardcover)
Cover #5 - 2008 UK Edition (Paperback)
Cover #6 - Sweedish Edition

My Thoughts


I have to say, my thoughts this week are extremely varied when it comes to these covers. Cover 1, the newest of the designs is my absolutely favourite because of the simplicity surrounding it. The writing in the background I think compliments the fact it's the Study series, while the magic in the centre of the cover really focuses on what this novel will be about, much like the other covers having poison and fire on their covers. The colours are divine and if I enjoy Poison Study, I'll be making sure to get the others in the series in this cover. Cover 2 I actually really surprisingly like. I appreciate that we have no face to model on the front cover, and I just think the contrast of green and peach to be really quite gorgeous. I can dismiss the slight feel of photoshop because it's really quite elegant and mysterious. Cover 3 I like because of the pinks and the style, I think out of the other covers, it's the next nicest in comparison. Cover 4 I like for similar reasons as Cover 2, the colours just work so well together, the greens and the peaches, but the actual style isn't as appealing to me. It does feel as though it's been promoted to more of adult age range than young adult, but that could just be me. Cover 5 beats Cover 6 merely for the fact I dislike the use of the face in Cover 6's cover. Why use a face? You could have left the face out and it would have been a better cover, but my biggest issue with Cover 5 is just how photoshopped it looks. You can literally see where the designer tried to merge the lines. No thank you. Give me Cover 1 or Cover 2 anyday.

Your Thoughts


What do you think of these covers? What's your favourite? Do you agree or disagree, and more importantly, have you read Poison Study? Would you recommend it? How good is it? Do the covers in fact work with the story inside? Leave me your thoughts and comments down below, and if you have any series covers you'd like to see, let me know that too, we're always open to suggestions.

20 comments:

  1. I have to say cover one excites me the most! But that's because I don't like having "humans" on the cover just because feel like it messes with the joy of creating your very own version of the characters, if you get what I mean? That being said, there is something about cover 2 that is enticing...

    Jess @ MyReadingDress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cover #2 is such a subtle favourite of mine, maybe a guilty pleasure, whoops! :) Humans on covers can hinder though..

      Delete
  2. Cover one looks good, it's the one I own, but not all of them have great covers in this style as some of the colours used are just... off to me. I own 4 of the 6 books, but not book 1, so I haven't started them yet but I've only heard amazing things about this series, so I don't think the covers do them justice. You can pick them up in the 6 for £10 deal at The Works by the way if you do decide to read on. Keen to know what you think of this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, some of them don't work well at all, the other series with the blue backgrounds, it doesn't work much there. I'm excited to start it and I'll always buy them from there because they're super cheap and I love super cheap! :)

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with you with all of these!! I borrowed Poison Study from the library recently so I'm intrigued to see what I'll think of it :) I love the purple and blue in the first cover, for sure, and the green is really nice in the second one. I'm not a fan of faces/people on covers, though :/ so 3-6 don't really do it for me.

    I LOVE this feature so I'm glad it's back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too Emily, it was too long since I'd done it and I'm glad it's back! *celebrates*
      So glad you agree with my order too, yay! :D

      Delete
  4. these books by Maria V. Snyder have intrigued me for a while but I don't know if I will like them or not, my favourite out of the lot though would have to be number 1 and 6, I just think they are the prettiest.

    Glad to see Who Wore It Better is up and running again, I know how much you missed it :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did miss it, it's good to have it back, people love it and I'm glad I can give people something they love :)

      Delete
  5. I do think I like #1 the best, but I also really like that Swedish one! They're really mysterious and eerie...sheesh, I need to get onto at least one of Marie V. Snyder's books. No matter how many I read I feel permanently behind.

    But seriously, it's been two months since you did one of these?!!! TIME FLIES! But I do love this series. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read one too, I own three! :O Two months, I know Cait, it's crazy, but it's baaaaaaaack! :D

      Delete
  6. I have the cover #5, but I like cover #1 the most. The design of #1 is simple and fits the story and has that magical feel. Others like #5 focus more on the person and the nature background, which fits the book as well though. I have read this series and really enjoyed it, I would certainly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh does it? That's great to know, I wasn't sure if it just looked pretty and didn't fit..
      I'll have to push it up my list for sure then Lola, I've just not heard much about it which is a shame :)

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry! I don't mean to chose series you haven't read :O Honestly, half the series I chose to do are series even *I* haven't read yet. I use this meme as a sort of way to get excited about series sometimes, you know?...
    While I think I agree on all your placing this week (Number three I'm a little hesitant on, but not too much to change places) I do have complaints about ALL but the first! (which is just stunning)
    Number two - I would love it if not for the fact the model's colors completely clash with the background, which would be okay if it didn't enhance the fact she's just been photoshoped in there. Clashing colors in covers could be beautiful, but she just clearly appears to not be part of the original background image. A good photoshop artist could create the illusion this was an image actually taken in the jungles, but unfortunately that's not the case here (and you know how peculiar I am about that!)
    Cover three IS better than the others, but I just hate the whole style. Also, what does this cover bring from the story? Absolutely nothing. It's an empty cover.
    Cover four is nice and all, AS A PICTURE. But The Study series is not dull, fading and boring as this cover is. It's like seeing a still-life picture. You can be impressed with the artist's skills, but at the end of the day, it's nothing you'll remember forever, it's (usually) not exciting or invigorating.
    Cover #5 DOES look photoshoped, and six I can't even.

    All in all - first week we agree on them all!!
    AND YOU'VE GOT TO READ THE BOOKS ASAP THEY'RE SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's okay, I kid I kid, it encourages me too! :)
      I do agree, she's obviously not originally there, but I do love it anyway.. cover #3 is a pretty cover, but just, doesn't relate at all to the story, I'm not sure it's even the same model as the first in the series, and yes, so happy we agree! I will read them as soon as I'm in the mood, which is hopefully soon for sure ;)

      Delete
  8. I really like the first one, and I haven't seen it before. But I'm afraid I'm a bit of a sentimentalist. I started the Study series with the covers in the vein of #4, so I'm somewhat fond of it, and I actually read Magic Study with cover #2, and I quite like that one. Great idea for a post type!
    ~Liza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can so understand the sentimentality, it's a person thing, and I so see that. Thank you Liza, there's loads in the past to check out too! :D

      Delete
  9. My vote is for 6, and not because it is Swedish. Although it helped. Just a tiny, tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised, but it's good that we all like different things!

      Delete
  10. Cover 1 is my favourite too, then I like number 2 as well. The others are all kind of hideous, especially number 5! That one needs to be set on fire and never seen again, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your fire making ways ;) We tend to agree quite often don't we? :P

      Delete

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...