Thursday 4 September 2014

Book Review - Day 21

Day 21
Author: Kass Morgan
Series: The Hundred #2
Genres: Dystopian, Space | Young Adult
Release Date: September 16th 2014
Publishers: Little Brown
No. Pages: 320
Source: Review Copy - Little Brown
Rating: 
No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now. It's been 21 days since the hundred landed on Earth. They're the only humans to set foot on the planet in centuries...or so they thought. Facing an unknown enemy, Wells attempts to keep the group together. Clarke strikes out for Mount Weather, in search of other Colonists, while Bellamy is determined to rescue his sister, no matter the cost. And back on the ship, Glass faces an unthinkable choice between the love of her life and life itself.
In this pulse-pounding sequel to Kass Morgan's The 100, secrets are revealed, beliefs are challenged, and relationships are tested. And the hundred will struggle to survive the only way they can -- together.

The following review may contain spoilers concerning earlier books in the series.
If you have not read the previous installments, please proceed with caution.

If you've read my review on the first book in the series The 100 (here), you'll already now that I was disappointed by it. I have stated that this is partly because I watched the show before reading the book and though the book was different and I don't like to compare things (even though we all do it) the loss of a certain character did hit me hard because he was my favourite. You'll also know that I didn't really get on with the book, and that wasn't at all to do with high expectations, there just wasn't a lot happening, it was too focused around the love interests in the book and too much was left unexplained.  This book, however was better so I'm glad that I enjoyed it more and if there is a third book in the series I'm looking forward to finding out what happened.

So why was this book better? it was so much more fast paced than the other one, there was a lot more action and a lot more happening, as well as a lot more explanation and secrets to keep you interested ( I for one didn't see the big one coming haha). Though it still focuses a lot around love triangles, I just felt like I could connect to the characters a little bit more because the development of each of them really came out.  I felt like the characters had grown up, even though it was only a short space of time and because of this we didn't have the school kid behavior from them like we did in the first.

However, the two things I still didn't like about this book was the instant love, and the multiple points of views. Both were a big issue with me in the last book and they were again in this one. I think maybe, if the book wasn't set from so many point of views then I might have liked the romance a bit more. Because at least that way we would see more of a one on one with characters and how it built up, instead of it just being there one moment, you know? maybe it's just me.

Either way, this book had a lot more to offer than the last one, and I'm glad I carried it on even though I did nearly put it in my DNF pile. Both books, and the story line, have such potential and I want so badly to love them. Who knows, I didn't like the first one all that much but the second was better, maybe I'll end up obsessed with the third?. (a third book hasn't actually been confirmed yet as far as I know, but considering the cliff hanger that we were left with there's no way there isn't another)

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll watch the show before (occasionally) reading the book ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you do want to you, I would personally suggest reading the book first because the difference's might disappoint you if you watch the show first.

      Delete

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...