Monday 4 August 2014

Bookish Musings - TV & Film

Bookish Musings is a feature here at Beautiful Bookish Butterflies that allows one of us to share our thoughts and opinions, talk and discuss things happening in the book and blogging community or share a personal book related issue we have. Today, Stacie is talking about why she doesn't feel that books should be made into films, but ever once in a while she comes across a TV program of a film that should thinks would make a brilliant book..




So this discussion as the title suggests is about TV shows or films that would make a good book. As an avid book lover, one of my biggest pet peeves is when one of my favourite's is turned into a film and then it turns out badly, the casting is wrong or too much important stuff is left out. But more often than not I find myself watching something and wishing more than anything it was a book that I could sink my teeth in to. I know it's funny, giving what I just said but I was watching a film with my other half this week and it just hit me how desperately I wanted it to be based on a book.

Now don't get me wrong, I contradict myself in many ways because I believe that books, most of the time, should just stay as book's if they can't be done right. Harry Potter for example, I love the film series because it brings my favourite books to life and paints a perfect picture for the most. But it isn't without it's faults, many crucial things have been left out of the films and while I can ignore little things here and there, there are times where I can't hide my dislike for it. In 2006 the Eragon film came out, and was so poorly done they didn't continue to make the series into films. In 2007 P.S I Love You came out and was set in America instead of Ireland, in 2009 My Sister's Keeper turned out to be as close to the book as I remember, until they changed ending of the book to better suit it's target audience's. The list of bad films that have originally came from books goes on and on.


And it's not just us book lovers who hate the books being adapted for film. Ironically enough the list of authors who hate the movie version's of their book is a long one too. Stephen King hated The Shinning movie and didn't think Jack Nicholson was the best choice, Ken Kesey never watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest because he apparently yet again didn't think Jack Nicholson was right for the film ( I personally don't know what's so wrong with him, he's a fantastic actor). Roald Dahl hated the movie of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so much he refused to have the sequel made too and lastly on my examples we have Rick Riordan who's answer's to questions about the films over twitter can sometimes come across as rude and unnecessary. Of course to me, this opens up the one question , if you think there is at all a possibility that the films will spoil your book, then why would you sell the rights in the first place? why are authors these days so obsessed with the thought of having the movie made, why aren't they just content with the popular book?. I honestly don't think they have any right to complain when it back fires on them. You may think differently but that's my opinion.

On the flip side to that you have books that were made into TV shows, that in my opinion work so much better. True blood, a series that no matter what other people think I am addicted to, but can not stand the books. Vampire Diaries is another that to me is much more entertaining on screen then in my head. So why even after everything I just said do I still hope for certain TV shows/ films to be from books?. It cant be because I want to imagine it my way, because once I watch it on screen I'll never be able to see anything but the actors or actresses who played the part, or because I'm dying to find out what happens because I obviously already know.

It's simply because once in a while a show or film will grip me so much that I wan to carry it on. It happens a lot with stand alone films. Like In time with Justin Timberlake in, it's an dystopian film and even though I didn't think the films was anything to rave about, I couldn't help thinking it would make a brilliant book. The Purge, Now You See Me, Constantine, The First Time, Easy A and John Tucker Must Die are a few other stand alone's I think would make good books. Some Series (TV or Film) I wish were books are Lost Girl, Teen Wolf, Blade, Beauty and the Beast, The Following, Underworld, Kick Ass, Ginger Snap's and Lost Boys. I wish for so many more, but of the top of my head that's all I could think of haha


I'm not sure why I complain about books being movies and sit here wishing to have a  book of something I've watched, but sometimes I get a fuzzy feeling in my stomach and wish I could explore those feelings in more depth.  I also am aware this post turned in to more of a complaint about books to movies, am I ashamed? not really. It's something I dislike the most that I'm not surprised one bit it came out more than intended haha. (this is one of the reason's I don't do discussion, or find it hard to voice my feelings in general because I find myself always straying from the point at hand. What can I say, I'm easily distracted haha)

that's my post, as disorientated as its going to get. I will leave you with this questions though, is there any film or TV show you've watch and thought you would love nothing more than to have it is writing? :)

2 comments:

  1. Love the topic! I definitely have so many movies that I wish had been books, especially books I could have read before seeing the film.

    Haha those Riordan tweets made me laugh and roll my eyes. Why sell the rights?!? WHY?!? I completely agree with you, they just need to suck it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's something I think about a lot, but it was lat week when me and Glenn were re-watching all of the Underwolrd films that I thought how much I wanted that to be a book (fyi, they do actually makes books of the films but I don't know if that will be the same... is that like really stupid of me to say considering? )

    having not read the books I can't talk about how different it is, but I stick by what I said about not selling the rights. I don't think people have a right to complain if they've done it and it turns out wrong. And its not just authors I haven't read, I think it about all of them. Darren Shan himself had a film made of the first book in the The Saga of Darren Shan, and I don't think he was too happy about it but he didn't go on a rant about it like Rick Riordan seems to, I mean it's not just me that thinks he's rude sometimes with it right?

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...