Thursday 27 February 2014

Who Wore It Better #4 - Unravel Me

Who Wore It Better is a meme created and hosted by Nitzan at The Book Babes Read and co-hosted here on Beautiful Bookish Butterflies by Amanda and Stacie. We don't talk about clothing or fashion and we definitely don't talk frills and spills, we talk books and their covers and who we think has the best. This week, Amanda's talking about the covers for Unravel Me, the second book of the Shatter Me trilogy. She hasn't started this series as of yet, but will the love it receives, it's definitely creeping up her list..


The Covers



Cover #1 - US/UK Hardcover/Paperback
Cover #2 - French Hardcover/Paperback
Cover #3 - German Hardcover/Paperback
Cover #4 - Swedish Hardcover/Paperback
Cover #5 - Turkish Paperback
Cover #6 - Czech Hardcover Edition

My Thoughts


Cover #1, the US and UK edition is absolutely beautiful, and is only my favourite by a small margin, as the first four really could have fought for a spot here, but there's something about this edition that just speaks to me; it's got the eyelashes frozen which could symbolise a change in temperature between the three 'love triangle' characters, but it could also symbolise the change in seasons, the cold before the new beginning, the new spring. Granted, I've never read the series, and I have no idea how Ignite me ended, but that's just the feel I get from this cover. Cover #2, the French edition calls out to me from a personal point of view; I adore black dresses over any other coloured dress and I find the cover to be so elegant, yet dark and dangerous, and there's a beautiful vibe I get from it. Cover #3, the German edition is also pretty darn beautiful, and I confess, where I can't choose black, I'll choose a red dress, so that probably explains why I put this cover in third place, but it also seems to match wonderfully with the edition for Shatter Me, and you all know me and matching covers. Cover #4, the Swedish edition I think hones in on the relationship aspect of the story. I am aware that there is a love triangle, and that in Unravel Me, a lot of people had a change of heart, so I believe this is a good route to take. Yes, the cover looks a little New Adult-ish, and also, how can Juliette touch one of the guys without killing them, yet be so up close and personal with one of them in cover? That question is what put this cover in fourth place and not second, because trust me, it almost made it there. Cover #5, the Turkish edition follows similar suit with the fourth, but I just can't seem to like it much at all; it feels very computerised and edited rather than natural and I just don't like the colouring much. I feel quite the same with Cover #6 too, the Czech edition; it just feels too generic and has too many sharp edges for my liking.

Your Thoughts


How do you feel about these covers? Do you agree with my order of things or would you change them? Do you know of any other covers you think should be on this list? Leave your thoughts and comments down below and don't forget to check out the Shatter Me covers from last week on Nitzan's blog.

4 comments:

  1. I always love these posts of yours! I haven't seen a lot of these covers for Unravel Me, so it was extra nice to read your thoughts about them. I definitely like your number one best, but I also really like number 2 and number 3! Though those styles of book covers are becoming too popular in the YA genre. If I was to reorder your list, it would look like this:
    Cover #1 - US/UK Hardcover/Paperback
    Cover #3 - German Hardcover/Paperback
    Cover #2 - French Hardcover/Paperback
    Cover #4 - Swedish Hardcover/Paperback
    Cover #5 - Turkish Paperback
    Cover #6 - Czech Hardcover Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ebony! :)
      We have very similar lists, so we probably have very similar tastes in covers too, how great :D
      Thank you for checking out the post!

      Delete
  2. I've got to agree with you about the first - and I love your interpretation of covers and symbolism behind them! It makes for a really interesting post!! :D
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of the French cover. There is just something so photoshopped about it, and you know how I am with those things. If the girl actually looked human, instead of misshapen, I would've liked the cover. I really wish they'd only give people who really know how to use photoshop to create covers - I could've made the girl look better, and I'm no master when it comes to the program...
    The German one IS pretty... though, did Juliette just become a redhead?!
    I don't like the forth cover :/ I think it really gives the book a wrong vibe - as you said, New Adult instead of a fantasy/dystopian romance. It seems to be directed in the completely wrong audience, and I would've NEVER thought this was Unravel Me we were talking about here. So, not a favorite of mine.
    If anything, I like the fifth one better cause as you said - it follows a similar line with 4, but at least it has snow and the feeling of danger/cold/magic in it. Mind you, its not a favorite by a long shot, but better than 4 for me.
    And last - the Czech. I've got the admit, I loved the Shatter Me Czech version and I like this one as well. Not as much as the first - the girl is too sharp for my liking, but I definitely like what they've got going around there. I like the colors, I like the feeling of ice breaking and old photo-ish...

    Our opinions today are quite different, it would seem *wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nitzan :)
      I never noticed that the French cover looked a little photoshopped, but that was my problem with the 5th cover; I've noticed that the image is also used on other book covers too, which really annoys me. I think all the German editions have Juliette as a redhead, and I'm all great with that personally, but I don't know what colour hair she actually has.. maybe it's not red?
      I like when we have different opinions, I think it makes for good discussion. Who knew Unravel Me could unravel opinions eh? ;)

      Delete

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...