Tuesday 27 May 2014

Book Review - Gameboard of the Gods

Gameboard of the Gods
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Age of X #1
Genres: Urban Fantasy, Dystopian | Adult
Release Date: June 4th 2013
Publishers: Dutton Adult
No. Pages: 472
Source: Borrowed
Rating:
Buy From: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Waterstones

In a futuristic world nearly destroyed by religious extremists, Justin March lives in exile after failing in his job as an investigator of religious groups and supernatural claims. But Justin is given a second chance when Mae Koskinen comes to bring him back to the Republic of United North America (RUNA). Raised in an aristocratic caste, Mae is now a member of the military’s most elite and terrifying tier, a soldier with enhanced reflexes and skills.

When Justin and Mae are assigned to work together to solve a string of ritualistic murders, they soon realize that their discoveries have exposed them to terrible danger. As their investigation races forward, unknown enemies and powers greater than they can imagine are gathering in the shadows, ready to reclaim the world in which humans are merely game pieces on their board
So I've been trying to do this review for a few weeks now, but I keep putting it off. And I think I know why.  Anyone that knows me, knows just how much I love the Vampire Academy and Bloodline series by Richelle Mead, like honestly I'm obsessed. But with this book I just came away feeling confused. Its hard for me to criticise a book by Mrs Mead, but this book had too much going on. The idea behind it was ok, but the religious groups being under investigation just left me scratching my head and at times I felt it was laughable.  I'm not religious at all myself, and even though personally I think she had the right  idea about 'world nearly being destroyed by religious extremists' it wasn't executed properly in this book.

The characters, well Mae was interesting, I liked her and even though Justin was annoying more than half the time I guess he wasn't a bad character. I was just really confused with the ravens that fallowed him around and seemed to set they're sights on Mae (sorry if you have no idea what I'm talking about, there is only so much I can say without giving this book away). This book had a lot of sub characters too, sometimes way to many to all take in properly specially as the book went from being a duo point of view to some times a trio.

I didn't feel like the book flowed very well. One minuet Justin was onto something to do with the case, next thing you are in school with Tessa. I just think this book wasn't for me. Its hard to say that, but it didn't really hold my interest that much. I will however read the next one to find out what happens, but that might just be more to my inability to leave a series unfinished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...