Thursday 2 January 2014

Book Review - Unearthly

Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly #1
Genres: Paranormal, Angels | Young Adult
Release Date: 4th January 2011
Publishers: Harper Teen
No. Pages: 435
Source: Gifted
Rating:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees... Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart
I love love loved this book, which is strange because I honestly didn't think I would. I've been wanting to read it for a while now and was lucky enough to get it for Christmas. I’ll be honest though, I had completely forgotten that it was a book about an angel and I was put off a bit. After seeing that I had it on my goodreads TBR list since May I decided to give it a go and I’m so glad I did. It was not at all how I thought it would be.

Instead of a male nephilim main character we are graced with a female, although she is only quarter angel or Quartarius as they are called, and what a breath of fresh air Clara is. Clara, a 16 year old girl who only became aware of what she was at the age of 14, is now having constant vision’s of a boy in a forest with a fire, she has these with no warming at all. If it wasn't bad enough that Clara could be driving or in the middle of a conversation when she gets them, her mum kindle informs her that they are of her purpose, her life’s goal. After a string of visions, Clara figures out that she has to move to Wyoming from California as that’s where this mysterious boy is.

What I like about Clara is that although she’s been lied to here whole life, although she’s been told that she basically doesn't have say over her life anymore because of her purpose, she’s rather humble. Hell even when she has to dye her hair because of her glory making her hair shine too much (glory is her light, its part of her powers) and it ends up bright orange, even when she faints the first time she meets the boy that she’s being having vision’s about for months, she just takes it in her stride. Of course she complains a little, wouldn't you if your life wasn't yours? Even if you weren't allowed to date who you wanted, because it interfiled with your purpose.

Through it all she just comes across as a very well rounded girl (you know, for a non human haha) I loved her friends, especially Wendy and her twin brother Tucker. (Tucker… just love!!!) I didn't love Christian (mysterious boy) but then in all fairness he wasn't in it enough for me to warm to him.

At first it seem like everything was a bit rushed as it missed weeks, but then after a while I came to see that it wasn't that important, and what was important was explained in detail. All in all it was just a really good book.I think what I loved the most was that the fact she was angel-born didn't come out the minuet she met a guy like some others. If you have this on your list then read it. Because like me you might be pleasantly surprised at how good it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...