Monday 11 August 2014

Book Review - The Forever Song

The Forever Song
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden #3
Genres: Dystopia, Vampires | Young Adult
Release Date: May 1st 2014
Publishers: Harlequin Teen
No. Pages:  378
Source:  Purchased
Rating:
Buy From: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Waterstones
Vengeance will be hers.

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster? With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.

Monster.

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions - her creator Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost - the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie.

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, her triumph will be short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.

THE FINAL HUNT IS ON.

The following review may contain spoilers concerning earlier books in the series.
If you have not read the previous installments, please proceed with caution.

In the first book we met Allie, Kanin and Zeke, we learnt about how the world had changed, how vampires had taken over and how they were using humans as personal bloodbags. Allie was turned at the brink of death and helped a group of humans reach Eden, the last human town where they are working on the cure for rabids. In the second book Allie had another personal mission to deal with, it took her mind of Zeke, and the bloodlust but things didn't exactly go to plan and she wound up on a more important mission than before. Still she handled it better than she thought, but still had to sacrifice so much. And in this book she had to deal with the choices she mad and what went wrong .

This book took so much longer to read than I thought it would, at first I was under the impression it was just because I had Silver Shadows waiting to read after, but when  I took some days to really think about it, I realised that it wasn't that at all. The book was just not what I expected, and from what I've read it's the same way for a lot of people. Though the book had the same amount of blood, guts and darkness to it that the other two it, it didn't seem to have the..heart that the others did. It had adventure, it had twist's and turns, but it also had predictability. I knew what was going to happen, and even though I knew at the ending of book two what would happen to a certain character, it didn't make it any less disappointing when it was true. If you ask me, I think it would have been more dramatic if it didn't happen. And its hard to say that, as it will be one of the most 'WOW' things for some readers, but for me it was predictable and that made me lose interest very early.

As far as the characters go, it still had the great ones as before. Even though he's as crazy as ever, Jackal still had me laughing, though half way through I was getting sick of his constant recycling of words.I didn't like the sudden turn in Allie's character, she was moody and horrible and so concerned with her inner demon that she was a different person, and not someone I could like. In the last two book's I really loved her, I thought she was  a strong minded young girl that despite everything she went through was so level headed. This book did away with that warm feeling I once had.

I wanted to like this book so much, even though its been a pretty up and down ride for me from the start, but I just couldn't see past the disappointment. It felt that there was this big build up to catching Sarren and what happened was over and done with so fast. I was just hoping for a different ending






2 comments:

  1. This doesn't give me hope for the series. Man, I feel so bad that I didn't enjoy Immortal Rules, but I shall see through it, hopefully, at least until the Eternity Cure and just see, but man.. This could be a Hunger Games read though, lots of people disliked Mockingjay, but it was my favourite of them all! This is a great review though, sorry it wasn't the ending you wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest reading the next one and just convince yourself the ending of that book is the ending to the series.
      I loved Mockinjay, probably not my favourite but I loved it.

      Don't feel bad silly, it's not your fault. at least the story is over my me, I feel bad that you still have 2 books to go :P

      Delete

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...