Monday 3 March 2014

Book Review - Ignite Me

Ignite Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #3
Genres: Dystopian, Fantasy | Young Adult
Release Date: 4th February 2014
Publishers: Harper Collins
No. Pages: 421
Source: Borrowed
Rating:
Buy From: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble
With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn’t know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won’t keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world . . . but that’s not all he wants with her.

The Shatter Me series is perfect for fans who crave action-packed young adult novels with tantalizing romance like Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and Legend by Marie Lu. Tahereh Mafi has created a captivating and original story that combines the best of dystopian and paranormal, and was praised by Publishers Weekly as “a gripping read from an author who’s not afraid to take risks.” Now this final book brings the series to a shocking and satisfying end.
A few points before I move on to the review, these are more points for people who have already read the book
  • Chapter 55. O.M.G I don’t think I've read any swoon worthy moment better than that in a few long time, before I read Ignite me all I was reading when I came across people talking about it was that chapter, and by god do I understand why, my heart… it was beating fast for far longer after than it should have been. 
  • The ending.. ok so that was disappointing, not what happened because I think it was pretty much set in stone from the off, but how little actually went in to the chapter that it happened. I felt like I had spent how ever long reading these incredibly books only to be completely let down by the end. Think Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows ’19 years later’ chapter and how pointless it was, well in my eyes the chapter that was the most important might as well not have even been in the book because it was just rushed and not enough effort was put in to. So yeah, I was very disappointed by the one chapter in it because it just spoil's what was a really good book.
    This books starts of where Unravel me ended, with Juliet being shot and Warner saving her life even though she broke his heart. He has her hiding out in his room with only one other person knowing exactly where she is or that she is alive for that matter. Omega point is gone, blown up but Anderson and Warner has to break the news to Juliet that no one survived. Of course that doesn't go as well as he hoped and she instantly demands to be taken to see for her self. It doesn't seem real that all her friends could be gone, just like that. Kenji, her best friend, James, Castle, Brendan, Winston, Sonya and Sara. All of her friends at omega point just wiped out. And of course Adam, her first love. Her friend when others shunned her and labelled her a monster, he couldn't possibly be gone.

    While struggling with her guilt of surviving when her friends didn't, she is also having to battle with maybe or maybe not having feelings for Warner, someone who tried to kill Adam, someone who pushed her and tortured her for his own gain. But she is finding that maybe he isn't the monster she thinks he is, and maybe, just maybe, she has misjudged him like she was once misjudged. One thing she is sure of and that’s her need for revenge. Right now its all she can think about, killing Anderson, the man responsible for so much misery and heart ache.

    When she recovers from her injury Warner keeps his promise and takes her out to see the remainder of omega point, she had come to convince herself that Warner was wrong, he had to be. But seeing it for herself causes her to completely collapse into herself feeling nothing but grief. Until Kenji turns up, bruised and a little worse for the war but very much alive, and bringing the news that he wasn't the only one. Now comes the planning, they know where Anderson is, and how to get to him. But can a small group of rebels really stop him? (Read it and find out ;) . )

    This book…. Just shut up. I have loved the world of Shatter Me since I first read Shatter Me last year, at first I didn't think I would like it so much but I was very intrigued by the summary. I loved Juliette's character from the get go and when Adam was introduced, well lets just say I swooned a bit. I read Unravel Me not long after as I was late on the old band wagon, but yet again I loved it, even though Warner was sadistic at times I couldn't help it, I was falling hard.

    With both Shatter Me and Unravel Me I was taken on an emotional roller coaster, feeling like no of my favorite's were safe. But neither of those two had any of the emotional heart ache/attachment that Ignite Me had (for me anyway) I very rarely cry at books (I came close in this one), I very rarely swoon anymore, and I find myself guessing the ending to the book with still 3/4s to go with around 60% of books I read. But I was blinded while reading this, I couldn't feel, my heart was beating way to fast. In short this book was a perfect ending to the series. The characters true colours shined through in this book and it was just all really well written. 

    Apart from the ending. I felt it was way way too rushed and thought more time could have been spent on such a crucial part in the story/series. Because even though there was a lot of planning though out the book, I’ll be honest and say that with the way the ending went, the book was more of a love story (not that I’m complaining haha). Anyway I’m very sad that its over and I wish there was more to it, but I’m really looking forward to seeing what Tahereh Mafi has to offer next, because for a debut series it wasn't half bad haha

    2 comments:

    1. I want to read this series at some point, so I just peeked at your review. I am happy to see that you really enjoyed it though! :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Its up to you if you wanted to read the review or not but as I said, it gives away big spoilers, and seen as the series is very good I thought I would just warn people because I would hate to spoil it for people.

      You really really should, I could not recommend this series more!.

      ReplyDelete

    We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...