Sunday 22 September 2013

Book Review - The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Standalone
Genres: Contemporary | Young Adult
Release Date: 3rd January 2013
Publishers: Penguin
No. Pages: 316
Source: Purchased
Rating: 
Buy From: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Waterstones
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten..

I usually give most of my reviews, a day or two to stew, so I know exactly what to write about, and why, but The Fault in Our Stars is meant to rip your heart out, shred it, tape it back together and leave it hanging as a crumpled mess. I will do my best to save this from being a crumpled mess review, but I can't promise it won't be. Yes. I did cry. I balled my eyes. Numerous times. And yes. I did also curse John Green while balling my eyes out.

It's near enough impossible to not know someone or know of someone who has had Cancer, and every Cancer story is different. Sometimes it's a different Cancer, other times, it just depends on the person, but throughout this book, I found it almost too easy to compare some aspects of fighting Cancer, to that of fighting a mental illness, or depression, or eating problems, and this is what made this book so powerful for me. There is probably not a human in the world who can't say there wasn't something, in this novel, that reminded them of themselves. Not one. It's simple aspects like that, that allows a novel like The Fault in Our Stars, to become the hit it has. It took me longer than I had anticipated to read this novel, and I would mainly put blame to my lack of control of my own emotions, and John Greens talent in making me search every emotion I know, and feel it within 316 pages.

I don't think my review, no matter how descriptive, could provide a potential reader with any advice in how to avoid falling in love, ache and emotional turmoil with this book. There are very few books, that ever manage to stay in a reader's heart for years, let alone a lifetime, but this novel, will be one I carry with me for my entire life. Do not, and I repeat, do NOT pick this book up to fill the time in your day. Do NOT think that this book will be an emotion-free zone. This novel, is beautiful, in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...