Tuesday 7 August 2012

Book Review - The Fault in Our Stars by

The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Standalone
Genres: Contemporary | Young Adult
Release Date: January 10th 2012
Publishers:  Dutton Books
No. Pages: 313
Source: Purchased
Rating: 
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


This is the first John Green book I've had the pleasure of reading, and if the rest are ever half as good as this one I'm going to be in heaven. About 5 years ago an ex of mine recommended me Looking for Alaska . I never got around to reading it while we were together and when we split I tried to avoid everything that reminded me of them as much as possible. I wish I hadn't. This book has had me laughing, crying and begging to know what happened next. I had it for a few days on my Kindle and when I was looking for something new to read I thought I would give it a shot, well my Kindle hardly left my hand that day haha.

The book is based on real situations, heartbreaking situations but real. And yet John Green still has the power to put humour in there, young love and adventure. Even though Hazel & Augustus are both riddled with cancer some how they never let it beat them. They don't cut themselves of from the world just waiting to die and expecting people to feel sorry for them, they just in a way get on with it.

This book is wonderful. Just wonderful, and as a first John Green book for me I've got to say, I've caught the bug haha. His ability to attach you to his characters is something I haven't seen in a long time. They are intelligent, inspirational and insightful. Not only are the main characters well written and thought out but any of the characters that pop in and out of the book also , along with Hazel & Gus, will pop in and out of your heart.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what to say about this book that hasn't already been said. There isn't much I can say because everyone will feel something different while reading it. So I'll leave you with something Hazel said instead, in hope that it will show you why myself like so many others find it hard to say anything other than "perfection" about this book :).

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books…which you can’t tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...