Friday 3 August 2012

Book Review - Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Genres: Fantasy | Young Adult
Release Date: 5th June 2012
Publishers: Hodder
No. Pages: 418
Source: Borrowed
Rating:
In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she has to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work - buying teeth from hunters and murderers - nor how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.

Now the doors to Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.

Firstly let me just start of by saying that if I could have given this more stars I would have. This book was just perfection, there wasn't one thing I didn't like about it. I started it a few days ago but when I really had time to read I couldn't put it down!! I only heard about this book about a month ago. I was attracted to the cover at first and the fact that the average rating on goodreads was so high. I'll be honest though, that also put me off. Before I picked this masterpiece up I had just finished reading the Trylle Trilogy. That had also got a lot of great reviews and I heard nothing but good things. So I bought the whole trilogy only to be massively disappointed.

I thought this was going to be just another fast paced YA fantasy story with a love story that was rushed and unrealistic. I'm so happy to say I was pleasantly surprised.  The books grips you from the very start with Karou and her borderline stalker ex Kaz. Its from 3 different point of views Karou, Akiva the handsome mysterious troubled boy and Zuzana who is Karou's best friend. Because of this you get a feel for more than just one character, you connect more with the book and it draws you in and doesn't let go till the last page when your still begging for more.

Karou was brought up by Brimstone, a wishmonger, and her earliest memory was of him. She has no idea who she is or where she comes from and secretive Brimstone isn't given anything away. Even though Brimstone is secretive, scary and sometimes comes across as nothing more than angry, I love him. He's character is very interesting and as the story of how he came to care for Karou unfolds you find yourself sad for him because of the things he has seen, done or gave up.

Akiva... where to start? haha. He's beauty is described as something very fitting for what he is, but it runs deeper than looks. He's just a very beautiful person and once he lets go of the sense of duty you see it. When he first meets Karou he knows something is different about her. That maybe he shouldn't be feeling the way he does. Once the love they both feel for each other is explained everything fits into place. Everything about the book fits into place. Everything was explained at the right time, it wasn't rushed, it was just perfect!

My advice for you is don't read too many reviews before picking the book up. You'll get your expectations up and even though I am confident they will be met, you could be different. Yes its another YA book about angels and demons and star crossed lovers but believe me when I say its nothing like the rest. Its beautifully written and the authors imagination is just mind blowing. Be ready to get hooked and lost in a world that you'll never want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...