Tuesday 29 May 2012

Book Review - Dead To The World

Dead To The World
Author: Charlaine Harris
Series: Sookie Stackhouse #4
Genres: Paranormal, Fantasy | Adult
Release Date: 3rd May 2005
Publishers: Ace
No. Pages: 291
Source: Borrowed
Rating: 
Buy From: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Waterstones
Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in Bon Temps, Louisiana. She has only a few close friends, because not everyone appreciates Sookie's gift: she can read minds. That’s not exactly every man's idea of date bait – unless they’re undead; vampires and the like can be tough to read. And that’s just the kind of guy Sookie's been looking for.

Maybe that’s why, when she comes across a naked vampire, she doesn't just drive on by. He hasn't got a clue who he is, but Sookie has: Eric looks just as scary and sexy – and dead – as ever. But now he has amnesia, he’s sweet, vulnerable, and in need of Sookie's help – because whoever took his memory now wants his life.
The following review may contain spoilers concerning earlier books in the series.
If you have not read the previous installments, please proceed with caution.

It took me about a week and a bit to read this book. Firstly because I was dealing with family problems, had my partners little brother over for a half the week and because for the first time in what seems like forever, the sun is shinning, I've been out playing with my little girl. Another reason (probably the real reason) is I just got so frustrated with this book. I'm sick of the love triangle between Sookie, Eric and Bill. Bill goes to Peru at the start of the book to work on his research into vampire history, I thought that it would be a really good time for Sookie to be alone and maybe finally develop her character a bit more. Instead she was faced with the task of looking after Eric, who had lost his memory, and within days she had fallen in love with him.

Now don't get me wrong, I've seen all this in the show and I was looking forward to reading it in this book, but all it did was make me want to pull my hair out. People don't fall in love that quick, it just doesn't happen. I know Eric seem to have an effect on people (believe me, I know.. haha) but Sookie is nothing but a little slut at the end of the day. She makes out she's such a good little girl when in the space of 4 books she's bounced between Eric & Bill who are vampires, Sam (her boss) who is a shifter, Alcide who is a werewolf and a new character (that I have yet to be introduced to) called John.

The fight between the witches and vampires was well.. it could have been better. I think the idea of the witches and wiccans being also shifters or werewolf's and are drinking vampire blood very far fetched, plus the reason as to why they are trying to take over Erics part of town seemed like nothing more but the last resort. I felt like for most of the book Charlaine didn't know what to write about so she put her first ideas to paper. And tbh, it didn't turn out so well.

I'll be honest with you, the only reason I'm going to continue reading this series is 1. because despite all its flaws I am looking forward to seeing more of Alcide and Eric. 2. season 5 of True Blood starts next weekend and I would like to know what happens before it starts and lastly 3. because I've spent too much time reading this just to give up now. I will finish it, even if i don't enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...