Tuesday 31 December 2013

Book Review - Ten

Ten
Author: Gretchen McNeil
Standalone
Genres: Contemporary, Thriller| Young Adult
Release Date: 18th September 2012
Publishers: Balzer + Bray
No. Pages: 296
Source: Borrowed
Rating:  
SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

Honestly, I didn't like this book all that much. At first glance it looks really good, good cover, good storyline, with only 296 pages maybe not enough to get the full message across being a stand a lone book but you give it the benefit of the doubt anyway, and then you read it. It starts of good, interesting really, even if a few characters are a bit annoying. Then you are just reading it for the sake of finishing. I was left very disappointed by this book wish is sad but I was so looking forward to it. Anyway…. I should review it now.

This books starts of with two best friends Meg & Minnie, on their way to the most prestige party of the year. A weekend party on Henry Island, hosted by the most popular girl in school, someone who was once Minnie’s BFF. Both Minnie and Meg have mixed feelings about going to the party but one things for sure, they are both there for the same reason, T.J. They have both been in love with him for longer than they care to count although Minnie isn't aware of Meg’s feelings, because Meg needs to put her first, why? Minnie is very unstable.

After settling in, strange things start happening once they discover a DVD , a home made one with someone stating they are out for revenge, what for though?. There’s no electricity which means no phones, no internet and worst of all the ferry isn't coming back for two days. That would be a lot to handle, if people weren't dying left right and center. What starts of with a suspected suicide, turns in to a homicide, only Meg is convinced it’s a girl who’s been dead for sometime.

As the plot unfolds, things start to make less sense, when Meg thinks she has it all figured out things do a 180. The characters are annoying, and not that well thought out, there is no way enough sympathy for dead people and most is just brushed under the carpet, I mean don't get me wrong, I know that Meg doesn't know half of them but its like nothing gets to her.

As I've already said, I didn't really like this book. So I’m sorry that this review is piss poor, but I’m all alone tonight while my partner is out working, and seen as its new years eve, and I should be spending it with my husband to be, I’m finding it really hard to be enthusiastic about a book that annoyed me.

2 comments:

  1. Eh, don't you hate that? I really don't like writing reviews for books I don't like. It feels unfair to be mean...but I'm not going to lie if I didn't like a book. Still, I want to read 3:59 by Gretchen McNeil. I hope it's a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, I really don't like not liking a book and then having to write about why I didn't like it. But there is a difference between being honest and critical as apposed to just harsh, it's just about finding that balance really. I know everyone is guilty of being over critical, hell I am all the time, but authors need readers to be honest about whats good and bad because how would they better themselves

      I've just looked up the summary for that book and it seems rather good, so even though I didn't like the writing style of Ten, doesn't mean I'm not going to like anything else by Gretchen McNeil.

      Thank you for the comment and I love you blog :)

      Delete

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...