Thursday 6 November 2014

Who Wore It Better #19 - Blood of Eden

Who Wore It Better is a meme created and hosted by Nitzan at The Book Babes Read and co-hosted here on Beautiful Bookish Butterflies by Amanda and Stacie. We don't talk about clothing or fashion and we definitely don't talk frills and spills, we talk books and their covers and who we think has the best. This week, Amanda's talking about the covers for the entire Blood of Eden series, since Nitzan is MIA. She's not the biggest fan of the series, but she's been wanting to talk about the whole collection of covers as a whole, so lets see. What will your favourite collection be?


The Covers



Row #1 - UK Paperback Editions
Row #2 - UK Hardcover/International
Row #3 - Australian Editions
Row #4 - Dutch Editions
Row #5 - German Editions
Row #6 - Italian Edition

My Thoughts


Isn't this just a lovely thing to behold..
Near enough every edition of the entire series in one place, how wonderful!
Anyway, without wasting too much time, lets get onto my thoughts on these covers shall we.

Now, Row #1, the UK editions have always been pretty disappointing to me, much like those in Row #3, the Australian versions. Don't get me wrong, I like that there's at least an attempt of consistent diversity on the Australian collection, but it just looks cheap and definitely not but together well, while the UK editions just- I have no words. There's no consistency, there's no connection, they all look and feel like individually designed covers. I don't understand what the point of bringing out a completely new styled cover for The Forever Song was about, considering there's no editions available to match that style and even though Immortal Rules and Eternity Cure look similar, it's just not enough for me..

Row #2 however, I think, looks absolutely beautiful. I adore the pop of bright colours involved, the blue, black and purple just work so wonderfully together and the simplistic look about them is just really quite wonderful to behold. As you can probably tell, these are my favourites, but they only surpass Row #4, the Dutch Editions, by a small amount because I think these are really quite nice too. They're consistent, they have the same model, the backgrounds work well, the style and look looks quite authentic (I think?) and I just really don't think these are too bad a covers.

Even Row #5, the German Editions look quite lovely. I like the consistency in these covers, the same girl modelling Allison, the sword is perfect, the whole look and feel just says elegent, although, if you've read my review for The Immortal Rules, you wouldn't think I'd use that word with this series, but I'm really sad they didn't release a third matching cover for The Forever Song as this would have definitely taken second spot from the Dutch, however, they can share. Finally, the Italian edition of The Immortal Rules just doesn't give me much to work with, it doesn't look authentic, it doesn't give a vibe of vampires and it doesn't look either badass or relate the story, so it's no surprise they ditched the design after the first installment.

I definitely love Row #2's collection, the International Editions, closely followed by the Dutch and the German in joint second place. It's a shame you can't pull of vampire looking covers without them looking either cheap, uninteresting or erotica..

Your Thoughts


So what do you think of this special installment of Who Wore It Better? Did you enjoy all of the covers? What's your favourite collection? Do you agree/disagree with me? What did you think of the series and did you check out my review? Let me know down below.

8 comments:

  1. I like row #2 the best!!! I like the plainness. I'm not a fan of faces on covers...it usually contradicts what I'm imagining, hehe. I'M FUSSY LIKE THAT. I'd rather have partial faces or maybe just a whiff of a face. But I loooove the minimalistic look every time. It always wins for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Face covers can very much ruin your image of someone can't they? Sometimes, models work well for me and I imagine them as the models and it just fits, (Sweet Trilogy, Starcrossed UK covers) yet others, when not consistent, like these, it just doesn't work.. I'm with you, minimalistic works for this series! :)

      Delete
  2. I used to be so confused by this series, purely because of the covers. I'd see those not so nice aus ones and then I'd see all these people with the fabulous covers from row 2. And then I finally realised that they were the same thing. Row two is just beautiful. Especially that purple one *_*

    TBH, I'm starting to think that Aus just gets a kick out of having unappealing covers. Actually, no. Australia likes to do this thing where they place ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS on the cover (if that makes sense). They really like photographs in their covers. I'm not a big fan of seeing a human on the cover, just because I feel like it messes with my ability to "create" my own version of the characters. And most of the time, it just looks awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some beautiful Australian covers though, sometimes they do well, others, not quite so, it's same for the UK really, I think there's SO many options for photographs and such that they just use them instead of getting creative. A shame..
      Row #2 is also your favourite? That doesn't hugely surprise, they are gorgeous aren't they? :)

      Delete
  3. I think row #2 is my favourite :) I don't tend to like having faces on covers and the colours and design of all of row 2 just works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think simple is beautiful on this occasion, right? Row #2 for certain :)

      Delete
  4. I like the second row, the UK Hardcover/International, versions the most. Just like you I like the colours and the simplistic design of them. And I am pretty surprised by the Dutch covers, normally dutch covers are the worst, but these look pretty good. And a consistent style is always good. They even did a nice job with the title translations! And the german covers are really nice as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dutch covers surprised me too for sure, the continuity between them all and the style really isn't bad and German covers are surprising me lately, it's a nice change, but simple definitely won out on this occasion, they're beautiful! :)

      Delete

We appreciate the time you take to leave a comment and do our very best to reply as soon as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...